09 June 2008

Keepin' on Dancin'



If you have five minutes, this is so worth watching all the way through. It's D. Ray White from West Virginia dancin', and talkin' about dancin', and dancin' with his grandson -- a tiny tot in tall tube socks and a bowl haircut.

"He's got it in 'em," Mr. White says of his grandson, about dance. "He's innerested. And when somebody's innerested, I'll spend many hours tryin' to help 'em. 'Cause one day, after awhile, I'm gonna be like the leaves on these trees -- I'm gonna have to come down. And then I want somebody to pick it up where I leave off, and keep it circ-uh-latin'. And then we'll never run out of good dancin'. We'll still have it."


I remember hearing that a young Mikhail Baryshnikov, the famous Russian ballet dancer, wanted to quit dancing after he saw Gene Kelly in a movie. He didn't know it was GENE KELLY, for Pete's sake. He just figured, if even an American actor can move with such grace, such skill, then why was he bothering to try to dance at all?

I love that story.

I love that he kept dancing anyway.

No comments: