
In the Proust Questionnaire a couple of weeks ago, I said that if I could have been anyone, it would have been Mary, the sister of Lazarus. This Mary of Bethany is also the one who chose to sit at the feet of Jesus, to be near him and listen to him, rather than to run around, working herself into a martyr complex, like her sister Martha. Mary is also the one who took the expensive perfume, poured it out on Jesus' feet, and wiped them with her hair -- one of the most beautiful, moving images to me in all of Scripture.
I'm going to be honest -- I have not felt very "into" Lent this year. I didn't give anything up, or do anything extra, or spend time being particularly contemplative. I am glad to say I do not feel any guilt about this, as the observance of Lent is an invitation that is optional, not a demand that is required. But, Mary's beautiful act of service and worship, in the expensive perfume that was lavished upon the feet of the Christ shortly before He was crucified, reminds me that doing more than what is required, when coming from a sincere heart, can be exquisitely beautiful. When Judas tried to stop Mary from "wasting" this expensive perfume on Jesus, instead of donating it to the poor, Jesus -- who embodied compassion to the utmost -- instead blessed Mary for her lavish display of devotion to him, and said that wherever people speak of Him, she too will be remembered for what she did. That's why, 2000 years later, we still know this part of the Story.
In this last week of Lent, this Holy Week, I invite your attention to the meditations being written by my pastor, Thomas McKenzie (the only pastor I've known who would post a David Sedaris clip in between Lenten meditations), over at his blog (click here). He's been writing reflections each day during Lent, but don't worry if you're just now popping in. It is merely an invitation. And you are welcome, at any time.
5 comments:
I'm not sure who gave you the idea that Lent was not mandatory.
"Thou shalt observe a holy Lent, with fasting, repentance, and extra guilt. I am the LORD"
-Hezekiah 4:17
Dear Ahna, what a beautiful subject You have picked to share... and so timely. It seems much easier for us to do things for the Lord rather than do the most important one - sit at His feet, listening, worshipping. Yet, when we get into the habit of doing it, we would never want to step back into rushing and doing. It is wonderful to draw close to Him, allowing Him to minister to us. He can only reveal the Truth to our hearts when we are completely at peace.
Thank You for sharing :-)
Many blessings to You... may You have wonderful Easter celebrations!
Ah, yes, good ol' Hezekiah. The Old Testament prophet so minor he didn't exist at all. :)
I have not felt very "lenty" (kinda rhymes with "minty"), although I have tried to listen to a few sermon-casts and read a few excerpts from "Reliving the Passion" (Walter Wangerian Jr.). Still trying to do my way into favor. Sitting quietly in His presence somehow is often difficult.
Correction: Hezekiah DID exist -- just not as a book of the Bible.
Post a Comment