
I grew up attending different garden-variety Protestant churches, including the denominations of Baptist, Assemblies of God, United Methodist, and even a couple variations on the theme of "non-denominational." The Baptist churches had the best VBS (uh, that's Vacation Bible School, for those of you who might have missed out on this week-long exercise in warm Kool-Aid and peppy songs about Jesus), and I excelled at memorizing the books of the Bible in this setting because I was rewarded with Dots candy. The particular Assemblies of God church I attended throughout middle school was, in retrospect, the most corrupt and theologically damaging of all the places my family went. The congregation went through three pastors in four years there. The first one was a liar, who grew marijuana on the church property. The second one turned out to be an adulterer. The third one caused the church to split because of his salacious remarks about one of the most respected members of the congregation, whom he viewed as a threat. This church split led us to attend the United Methodist church. The UMC was a positive and stabilizing experience in many regards, although when I first arrived there I was appalled to find how little my peers knew about the Bible, and I was shocked when my Sunday School teacher said a cuss word in class. But still, it was a friendly place, with Wednesday night fellowship dinners of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, fried okra, and sweet tea, and Sunday night youth group with truly caring leaders. The UMC was also my first introduction to liturgy in any form. We said the Apostles' Creed each week (carefully noting the asterisk beside "catholic" that assured us that "catholic" meant "universal" when we professed "one holy catholic church"). We lit candles on the Advent wreath, and had a "Christ-mon" tree in the sanctuary at Christmas time, the ornaments of which were glittery white styrofoam symbols of the Christian faith (envision sparkling cutouts of Greek letters, stars, fish, and crosses).
Amongst the 936 Sunday morning church services I attended (really, 936 -- I just did the math) from ages 0 - 18, not including youth group, Wednesday night stuff, VBS, choir practices, youth group musicals, and mission trips, I cannot remember ever hearing a single message or conversation about the Arts, or creativity, in relation to the Christian life. To be fair, I suppose I saw by example that colors matter (since they changed with each liturgical season). I witnessed the beauty of the stained glass and brass Communion chalices. I gleaned that music matters (since there was so much of it in the church). I learned that we're supposed to actively do something to help others (thus the mission trips). But I never heard about the connection between God being a Creator, and we as humans possessing creativity, and how we can know about who God is through creativity and artistic pursuits. Nor did I think about the implications this has for broader culture, and the Church's possible relationship to it through the Art its people produces.
So, I am excited to attend the Transforming Culture Symposium in Austin, Texas next week. I like how the event is centered around questions about Art, the Church, and our culture, rather than proclamations. I am hopeful I can be a part of a Church that does not isolate itself from the world, cloaking itself in inpenetrable jargon and bland aesthetics, but one that is involved in the risky and difficult work of -- to borrow Mahatma Gandhi's phrase -- being the change we want to see.
4 comments:
Sounds like a great conference. Enjoy!
That link is no good though...
Oops! Now that I spelled it correctly for the hyperlink, it should work. Thanks, Jason!
Dear Ahna,
Thank You for sharing Your heart and thoughts with us. I am truly sorry to hear that You've had so many negative experiences and memories of going to church... sad, really. I know it hurts our faith when we see leaders of churches that are not serving the Lord with their hearts, but rather have adopted their position as a career and are seeking for admiration and respectability of people... instead of God. It is sad... and as children we have no ability to reason that such leaders have never known Jesus personally and intimately... for if they did, they would never act like that.
There will always be things in every church that we will not approve of... and congregations are full of people who are broken... but then again, we are not called to follow people, but the Lord. We will forever be disappointed and fall when we keep our eyes on people. But we will never be disappointed nor let down if we keep our eyes on the Lord.
I can't say I have many people that I truly admire and am able to hold as examples, but there are few and I learn from them. Also, every time we see something wrong, it might be the area the Holy Spirit wants us to minister at. I believe that a church's responsibility is to lead people into an intimate and personal relationship with the Lord and from there we can all grow and become who the Lord has called us to be - excelling in our area of calling... and helping others to grow.
Please allow me to share with You a few verses the Lord recently spoke into my heart and amplified for me. He led me to a very well known verse in Jeremiah, "Then you will seek Me, inquire for, and require Me [as a vital necessity] and find Me when you search for Me with ALL your heart." (29:13) continuing to say, "and when you find Me, you will also find the path for your life, for I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life." (John 14:6)
We will find our calling and our mission in life when we seek Him with all of our hearts. The church can never do this for us. It is each of our personal search... and when we find Him, we find the path to LIFE.
You are clearly called to arts. There is no doubt about it... You excel in this area. So, pretty lady, go deeper into the area of Your calling and be immensley blessed!
Thank You for Your thoughts... many blessings to You,
Eve
Thank you, Eve, for your thoughtful comments. There is much wisdom here.
Post a Comment